Monday, March 3, 2014

Felicity


While on vacation in the summer of  1974 (I believe) my mother's brother threw me into the olympic sized swimming pool.

He said "It's the best way to learn. They'll come by it instinctually - survival of the fittest. It's perfectly natural. You'll see. She won't drown"

A Facebook post on safely teaching your child how to swim brought this memory to the forefront. I asked my cousin Felicity about it. I honestly couldn't even remember if she was there. And if she was, she was just a baby. #smiles

She replied "He did the exact same thing to me." And then added on some more.

It struck a nerve. No wonder we all have trust issues with our parents. I wasn't crazy. There were others! And we were related!

I've never had someone know exactly what I meant without having to explain it in morbid detail. Even though we grew up separated by land and family issues, we were connected on another level. I sat alone, in front of my computer and cried. After all these years, I found my home.


Virtual Hugs from A  Dozen Blythe (and more)

No comments:

Post a Comment